Original article posted on www.spoonuniversity.com
It was love at first bite when I had these!
What's made Chef Julio Sanchez, a proud arepa-loving Venezuelan, so successful, is his love for serving dishes such as sushi burritos, Nutella-banana pancakes, and avocado toast, at events ranging from corporate meetings to birthday parties and weddings.
But his golden staples are his college-friendly dishes from his native Venezuela.
One of his coolest recipes, known for being easy and great for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or as a snack, is for the best Venezuelan mini carrot arepas you'll ever taste. All the ingredients are cheap and can be found at your local supermarket!
Arepas are one of Venezuela's oldest and most popular recipes, dating back to various indigenous communities that first inhabited the country. They are these pancake-like corn based disks that can be made big or small, with the filling you crave, or not.
It was love at first bite for me when I tried these Venezuelan arepas. So go buy some corn flour and get ready to impress your roommates with 40 mini arepas (which will make 20 mini arepa sandwiches)
Here's how you make them:
1 cup warm water
1 pinch salt
1 large grated carrot
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 cup corn flour
Prep Time: 10min
Cook Time 15min
Total Time: 25min
- Place 1 cup of warm water in a bowl, add a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of cooking oil
- Grate a large carrot over the mix
- Add 1 cup of corn flour
- Mix using your hands until dough is even. Roll into balls the size of the palm of your hand. Flatten balls into disks 10cm in diameter
- Preheat a frying pan with cooking oil on medium heat. Place dough disks and flip over every minute for 15 minutes until done
1 can tuna fish
1 diced tomato
5 chopped up medium basil leaves
1 teaspoon mayonnaise
Prep Time: 5min
Cook Time: 0min
Total Time: 5min
- Open can of tuna, place in mixing bowl
- Place diced tomato over tuna
- Chop up 5 basil leaves and place in bowl
- Add 1 teaspoon mayonnaise to bowl and stir
- Place mix in between 2 mini arepas forming a sandwich, and enjoy!